Thursday, October 11, 2012

I Hate Fruit Flies!!!!



I wanted to share with you guys a little tip I found here on Pinterest, courtesy of Passionate Homemaking that you should just put in your pocket and carry with you through life... It's a fruit fly trap. Ha! I know, I know... It's not very exciting, but if you have ever gotten fruit flies in your house, you know they drive you bananas!!

I will preface by telling you that here in the wonderfully "green" City of Portland, we have to compost. Yes, HAVE to! It's not the law or anything, but they only pick your trash up every 2 weeks! They do; however, pick your recycling and compost bins up every week. If you didn't compost at all, your garbage would overflow with smelly food. NOT GOOD! Even though I truly don't like composting food, I hate smelly garbage even more. Besides... Check out the super stylish counter top compost container that they give you for free! Who wouldn't want this sitting out on your counter? Obviously, I'm kidding. I would love to throw that thing into a fire. ;)

Anyway, Having this thing out on the counter caused my kitchen to become a haven for fruit flies last week. I HATE FRUIT FLIES!!

Here's how it works...

-In a jar or drinking glass add 1 ripe piece or peel of banana, and a tiny amount of vinegar.
(The link says to use apple cider vinegar, but I used white vinegar. It worked great.)

-Take a piece of printer paper, and roll it into a funnel shape to fit into the jar or glass.

-Tape around the sides to hold the paper tightly against the jar, so they fruit flies can't escape by crawling up the sides. :)

-Set out on the counter, and walk away.

-When you return, there will be fruit flies in the jar. Stick the jar into the freezer for about 20 minutes. This will kill the fruit flies. Then remove the jar from the freezer and set it back out on the counter to catch more flies! You can repeat this with the same jar and fruit until the fruit flies are gone.
For me... I made 2 jars, and the fruit flies were gone by morning. GONE!

Good luck!!

No comments:

Post a Comment