Thursday, July 5, 2012

This ain't my first rodeo...



Hi Ya'll! I am back from my long vacation, and although I am feeling the urge to go into total travel and miss-my-family hangover there is no time for that. It's the week of July 4th, and The Hubs' father Marv is in town for a week. It's a busy time, but I LOVE having family around, and wouldn't want it any other way.

Yesterday on July 4th, Hubs had the BEST idea! He took us to the only place near Portland, where once a year all of the shit kicking, country loving, want-to-be rednecks (some strait out the trailer) all gather together in once place... The Molalla Buckaroo Rodeo! It one word it was awesome. I love things like this. Good food, good entertainment, great people watching, country music, cowboys, etc. etc.  We had some friends meet us there, and it was SO fun!




I do have to admit that The Misses was not a big fan of the rodeo part, just too much sitting for a little one. The kids really enjoyed the carnival games, pony rides, snow cones, and ice cream.  I on the other hand loved the rodeo!

The funniest thing that I saw yesterday (and in awhile) was the kids "Sheep Rides".  Don't let the name fool you, these are NOT docile animals walking in circles on a harness. People would strap their unsuspecting 3/4/5 year old on a saddled sheep with a helmet and chest protector. The sheep would then BOLT out of the gate with the kid holding on for dear life while adults stood by cheering and laughing. Two men would chase the sheep down and try to catch the kids as they inevitably fall off the darting animal. It was just one of the funniest things I have ever seen in my life, but I also couldn't help but wonder how this had become acceptable in any custom. Still, very much entertaining. Katie wanted to do it, but I said "No dice Misses. Maybe next year when you are 4 years old."  I'll take my parenting of the year award now. Thank you! ;)

If you are in the area, check it out if you ever get a chance. If nothing else, it's a good people watching experience! Here are a few pics from our day. I think I hear a new yearly family tradition!

             ~Betsy





No comments:

Post a Comment