Tuesday, July 10, 2012

Someone's Fibbing on Pinterest...

So many times I have seen recipes pinned by friends and family that look absolutely delicious, tagged with a calorie count that is WAY off. Today I was inspired by a recipe that was "pinned" by my cousin.  These "Healthy Peanut Butter Cookies" boasted having a mere 36 calories!

Seeing the recipe called for 1 cup peanut butter, 1 cup sugar, 1 egg, and 1 tsp baking soda; I knew right away this was total BS. Adding up the actual calories it came to at least 118 calories and 6.5 grams of fat per cookie.  (This assumes that they made 20 cookies even though the picture only shows 18) 

I decided to challenge myself to try and make some "healthy peanut butter cookies" that came closer the the 36 calorie per mark. So here goes!



Today I am going to alter the recipe with  Better n'Butter Spread, natural peanut butter, and stevia sweetener. 
 I did NOT end up using the Splenda sugar blend. The mixture was plenty sweet enough without it, and I have a total sweet tooth. :)

I LOVE Better'n Butter. You can learn more about it here.

My little helper Adds 1 large egg

I added 3/4 cup Better'n Butter

I kept 2 Tbs of natural peanut butter for a more authentic taste


Add 1 unpacked cup stevia blend sweetener and 1 tsp baking soda


Here's where it starts to go wrong. This is the consistency of the original "healthy peanut butter cookie" recipe. They must have been baking in The Land of Make Believe, because this is not at all the consistency of actual cookie batter. ;)

PLAN B:    I decided to add 1 cup quick oats to thicken, but also try to keep it healthy and calorie count on the lower end.


The new batter made 22 cookies

Bake 350 degrees for 7-9 minutes until done. Let sit on pan for 2 minutes before moving to cooling rack.




The Result: They are not the prettiest cookies, so I won't be taking them to a neighbor anytime soon, but they are DELICIOUS! 
I found myself licking the batter out of the bowl while the cookies were baking until I remembered the raw egg. Shoot! ;)

They turned out thinner than I like, but they were very soft. I baked mine just over 8 minutes, but I think 7 minutes would be perfect for next time for a fluffier cookie. I also may grind the oats in the Magic Bullet the next time I bake them to see what happens. This is definitely a recipe I will have to perfect before the holidays!   ~Betsy


Final Calorie Count-  52 calories and 1.25 grams of healthy fat per cookie   ENJOY!

1 comment: