Wednesday, September 19, 2012

Kids and Cell Phones


Check out this thing! Ryan found The Hubs ancient cell phone the other day, and asked me... "Mom, when I turn 18 could you PLEASE activate this for me?" LOL! "Absolutely!!" I said. I don't even think Verizon would activate it now though! Dear God, Please do not let me lose this phone before then, because that would be the best gag gift for his 18th birthday. ;)

Anyway, it got me thinking again... What is a good age to get your kids a cell phone?  We live in the city, and I have to admit that even at 9 years old; there are times that I wish Ryan had a cell phone. We don't live where people have large back yards to play in, and it's definitely not safe for him to be roaming the neighborhoods yet. However; We do have a park at the end of our street that we let him ride his bike to meet his friends, and he gets together at friends houses after school. It would be nice to be able to call him to check in. I usually just make him ride home at a certain time to touch base, or I walk the dog up to the park to see what he's up to. Either way, it has me contemplating a small non-data cell phone for him to use. Is this a bad thing??

                  ~Betsy

6 comments:

  1. I get it. We actually got Noah one that he uses when he rides his bike to the park or a friend's house. 7 years old sounds way too young, but he's so independent, it just makes sense for us. I was not a huge fan of calling other mom's cell phones to check in w/ my son. But really though I didn't want them to become annoyed w/ just how many times I needed to check in.... C

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm on the same page. I hate calling other moms cell phones too, and hardly anyone has a land line these days!

      Delete
  2. I got one for my senior year graduation ... just in time for me to pay my own bill. Ha! That sounds about right for my boys! ;o)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This sounds about right for me too! I got one after I was in college! Ryan won't have to wait that long though. Ha! :)

      Delete
  3. Sydney has been asking for one, too. I told her that once she has a job (extra chores/baby sitting/dog sitting/whatever..) to pay for her monthly bill, then we'll buy her a phone, but it wont be before Middle School.The first year she has a phone I'm insisting it's a pre-paid phone so she can figure out how be responsible with the minutes and I don't end up having to pay a $100+ bill the first month!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree that Middle School sounds like a good age. I'll probably hold out the 2 more years. :)

      Delete